Monday, April 20, 2020

Farmville, VA





Place Visited: Farmville, Virginia, USA
Date: November 2018

The Robert Russa Moton Museum was easily one of the most moving, educational, sad, hopeful, and infuriating museums I've ever visited. Moton High School was one of the cases brought forth in Brown v. Board of Education, which declared segregation in public education unconstitutional. I grew up in the midwest; I learned about segregation and its eventual end, but I never knew much about the years immediately following, and was pretty disheartened to learn that rather than integrate, Virginia simply closed it schools and kept them closed - for five years. It was also pretty eye-opening to see just how dismal the school situation really was. Even as a white person, I am forever grateful to have never lived in a time of segregation. It benefits no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment