Monday, July 3, 2017

Quicksburg and New Market, VA




Place Visited: Quicksburg and New Market, Virginia, USA
Date: October 2016

Shenandoah Caverns was a delightful surprise.  The caverns themselves weren't that amazing (geologically they're not too different from Luray or Crystal Grottos), but the rest of the place was just the kind of tourist trap I adore.  The main building includes Main Street of Yesteryear, a selection of shop windows decorated with animatronic scenes that are supposed to be charming but are mostly the nightmarish variety of uncanny.  Which I love.

Then I went down to American Celebration on Parade, a collection of parade floats created by the owners of the caverns.  Turns out they've made floats for every Presidential inauguration since Truman, plus countless others.  These things are massive and so detailed.  I spent quite a lot of time here.

Afterward I decided to grab a bite to eat at Southern Kitchen, where I enjoyed Lloyd's famous fried chicken.  All in all, a very nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment